This is a fun little twist on a basic single color macaron with a smooth, citrusy filling.
Yesterday it was 73 degrees up here in NH and that means it is time to start thinking about ice cream, popcicles and all sorts of fun summery treats!
With that, in mind, here is the Orange Creamsicle Macaron. A bright citrusy nosh with the subtle smoothness of vanilla underneath to round it out.
Eating just one is darn near impossible.
Ingredients for Shells:
- 212g SuperFine Almond Flour (Bob’s Red Mill is so far the best as far as grind and flavor that I have found out there!)
- 212g confectioner’s sugar
- 1/8tsp orange gel coloring (I LOVE Wilton’s gel coloring… so far VERY true to expectations after baking)
- 82g and 90g egg whites at room temp, in separate containers
- 236g granulated sugar (plus 1 pinch for egg whites/meringue)
- 158g water
Tools needed for shells:
- 2-4 baking trays (or jelly roll pans)
- parchment paper (or silicone baking mat)
- template (if using)
- 1 16″ piping bag
- 1 1/4″ round piping tip
- stand mixer (or hand mixer) w/ whisk attachment
- food processor
- small saucepan
- instant read thermometer
- Kitchen scale
- measuring spoons and cups
Use the Basic Macaron Shell recipe HERE.
There are only two things above and beyond the basic recipe to note:
- Add 1/8 tsp of orange gel coloring to your batter base (paste step) in STEP 3.
- When prepping to fill your piping bag, you can opt to add a few stripes or splatters of the orange coloring to the INSIDE OF THE PIPING BAG prior to filling. I do this with either a small hobby paintbrush or a toothpick. I opted to use minimal additional coloring for a very subtle marbling effect.
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 stick room temp (soft not melted) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 10 drops Orange Oil (for cooking.. not essential oil!)
- 1 tsp of orange zest (optional)
Follow the Basic Vanilla Buttercream recipe HERE.
The only adjustments to the filling would be the addition of the Orange oil (and zest) when you are mixing in the vanilla and milk.
(PSST: Adjusting for your taste preferences (more or less orange/vanilla), this is a super fun buttercream for a summery cake or cupcakes too!!!)
Enjoy and happy macaron-ing!