Just a quick recipe for all the soup lovers out there during these c-c-c-COLD times across the country. I believe we are currently close to ‘false spring’ here in New England so, keep those soup recipes handy, friends!
This can be put together quick and only required about 20-25 minutes of cooking time. I also added a serving of garlic spinach to it when I served to up the greens factor for my meal. This soup can take a lot of additions well for sure. Adjust the spice levels to your liking and ENJOY!
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium white onion, diced (300 g, approx. 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger or 1 tsp ginger paste
- 3 tbsp red curry paste
- 4 cups vegetable stock (divided into 3.75 and .25 cups)
- 1 medium squash (can also use buttercup)
- 4 cups chopped carrots
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 to 1 cup coconut milk (you’ll want to reserve a 1tbsp of the milk and the solids from the top as your soup topper)
- ground garam masala to top served soup
- cilantro for garnish
- Place onion, garlic in deep pot and sauté on medium high until fragrant
- Add1/4 cup stock, curry paste and ginger to pot and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add in remaining stock, carrots and squash. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend with immersion blender
- Return to low heat and add in coconut milk (1/4 cup at a time until you hit your preferred creaminess and consistency… I used almost a full can except the reserved ‘cream’ for topping the soup.
- Add in lime juice and serve, topped with garam masala, cilantro and coconut cream (and shrimp if you choose!)
Spiced Shrimp (approx enough for 2 servings of 8 shrimp each)
16 jumbo shrimp, deveined, and shell removed
1/2 tsp of the following spices: yellow curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes
1 tsp garam masala
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp of Olive Oil
- place oil in pan over medium heat
- add in shrimp and move around pan to coat both sides with oil
- add in all spices and sauté until cooked through (approx 4-5 minutes)
- remove from pan and set aside until serving
- serve on top of squash soup or on the side with a wedge of fresh lime
Super quick, simple and healthy!
3 Comments Add yours
Great looking soup. Thanks for the instructions.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Any time! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person